Saturday, May 19, 2007

Rob

I am one of the most competative people you might ever meet. I hate to lose. It is a sickness. I hate not being number one. I couldn't let a six year old beat me at bowling.No. Seriously. It happened. I couldn't let her beat me.

So there is a lot there. I played C.Y.O. basketball for a number of years when I was growing up. C.Y.O. , for those of you who don't know, stands for "Catholic, Youth, Organization". Maybe all that guilt on the court made for better play.

We were a good team. Second or third best in our league. St. Matthias. We were good. I was never a very good shooter, but boy could I play me some defense. We always come up second to St. Pancras. (For some reason my young mind could never quite understand why those kids played for a church named after an organ). I hated that fuckin team. My friend Rob from middle school, whose last name has escaped along with the years of my life, played for the hated organ saints.

We were okay at school. Playing "Sporks" at lunch time and tossing pennies during free periods. I believe that he even hit me in the testicles one time while playing "sucide" in the school yard. All in all, fast freinds.

On the court was an entirley different matter. I would hit, push and do anything I could to win. I was a dirty player with a chip on his shoulder. Hey, I like to win.

So the moment this whole post is about, is a time at St Pancras church. We were playing a game in the auditorium. Rob and I dove for a loose ball and ended up tied up. A jump ball was called. Rob and I lined up, face to face.

That moment is one I have thought about many times in my life. Everytime I think of competition.We looked each other in the eye. Just before the ref threw up the ball. Time stopped. It was me and Rob. Two freinds, two competitors. Both wanting to best each other.
A slight smirk curled Rob's lip. A small smirk mirrored itself on mine.The ref threw up the ball.

We jumped.

1 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home