Monday, September 26, 2005

Shut up and get in the trunk Ken

I have had a great weekend in NYC. Saw my folks, my ex, my oldest friend in the world and stayed with my wedding date at her De-Luxe apartment in the sky.

We all went out Friday night. Whooped it up a bit at some of my favorite East Village haunts.

Saturday night we drove out to my wedding date's cousin's place.It was her cousin's wife's 30th b-day. I met the family for the first time. Mom, Dad, cousins. It was a lot of fun. Julie (whose B-day it was) is an amazing lady. Mother to two cute little girls and cancer survivor. There were "LiveStrong" braclets on each table. I thought that was a nice touch. Made you think how precious it is. I think anyone who really worries about getting older is a bit ridiculous. Here was a woman who faced the prospect of not getting to 30! It was cool to hear everyone saying how she had such a great attitude. That SHE lifted them up! Awsome party, good dancing! Fun!



Jim and Julie strike a pose


We stayed at Jim and Julies place that night. In the basment. Jim has the COOLEST X-box setup in the world. He had a full scale model of a car, that he bulit, with a steering wheel and pedals! Plus a huge projection T.V. He was my hero fo a moment there!

In the morning I met J&J's daughters. Samantha (2) and Jaime (5 I think). Jamie took a shining to me. She invited me to play Barbie with her and Sam in the playroom. An offer that I graciously accepted. I realized, however (and quickly) that I have no idea how to play Barbie. Aloow me to explain the rules of engagment when being invited to be Ken while staying at the Barbie Dream Home.

-Barbie's do not attack, fight, or blow anything up. How is this fun? I do not know.
-My wedding date informed me tis morning that Barbies shop, talk, and drive around when you are five. Later on they date. (I tried the driving. Not good. See Below)
-Ken does not talk in a high pitched sqeaky voice (I was reprimanded for this infraction right away)
-Barbie doesn't really care what Ken wants to a)Do b)wear
-Barbie decides if Ken gets to ride the Horse (I was told right away that the horse was tired and was napping. In other words NO EQUSTRIAN EVENTS FOR KEN!)
-I asked if Barbie would like to go for a ride in the Barbie VW Beetle. This was thought about and my request was approved. Ken would have to sit in the trung though. As there was no room in the car for him with all of the Barbies.
-At this point Ken decided to take a nap and I decided to get some more coffee.I had enough Barbierific fun for one day.
-Jamie's grandfather made fun of me for not knowing how to play Barbie.He had two daughters of hi own. I told him I was going to brush up and next time it was me and him in a Ken battle to the death. BOO-YA Grandpa!
-I am going to bring a G.I. Joe next time. Joe blows things up. I make great 'Splosion noises!



My short lived attempt at playing Ken

On Sunday, we drove my wedding date's brother back home to Maryland and her parents home. Who, I failed to mention, I had met for the first time the night before. We brought food and all sat down in the family room to eat. I got one or two bites in at which time her mom said "So tell us about yourself Tom". After nearly choking at such an open ended question, I rattled on for one half hour. I was told I did well. Whew.

It took us 6 hours to complete the 3 hour drive back from B-more. We stopped in at my folks place and my wedding date got some of the same treatment. So the two of us were exhausted when we got back to her place. I fell right asleep.

I am leaving for NC tomorrow. Sucks. I miss it, but I want to stay.

See Y'all later

BTW-My wedding date's name is Heather.Here she is.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Tom!

We women are all "Barbies", really.

Yes, Barbie rules the world.

As a "Ken" you should know that.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Y'know, I come within 3 states of NC and you call me to stop by, give me a hard time if I can't make, but you come back to NYC and I don't even get a txt msg. Nice.

I'm not as much fun as a few little kids and a hot date? WTF dude?

2:59 PM  
Blogger S* said...

You forgot to mention that you met me...Shasterisk...your lovely wedding date's friend.

I must say, you are very cool and you two have my blessings. But I've been rooting for you all along ;)

3:52 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

The photos were great and I LOVED the Barbie story!! Just adorable. You're going to be a GREAT dad at some point!!

11:38 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Thanks for the rooting S*. It was great to meet you also. Hope you weren't too offended that I left you out of the post. I had so much to write. I can never seem to please everyone with these blogs.
No offense. You were definately part of the party and part of the fun.

9:56 PM  
Blogger M said...

She's a looker!

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home