Wednesday, July 06, 2005

J'art and the band of brothers.

So I am going to spare you the feel good blog of the century that I wrote earlier. Maybe the most depressing thing that I have written since I've been to Raliegh. Something about me being the stupid hamster in the lab experiment that keeps trying for the block of cheese with the 9000 volts electricity running through it. In this scenerio I was hamster #047. Affectionately known to the labratory assistants as "the dumb one". As in "Awwww that poor stupid hamster keeps thinking that the cheese won't give him a shock this time"Instead, I am going to tell you about the best thing going on in my life right now.

J'art. jam+art. I have been going by Jaz' place and we have been doing these jams. We stretch a canvas and then I start playing guitar and he paints. Well, it started that way. Last Thursday night I went over Jaz' place but it wasn't only me and him. He, Jason, Jonathan and Doug were there. Doug and I played guitar, the other three painted. for the most part. I got up and painted also, just not as much as the three working artists on hand.We played every song we could, From "Mama Said Knock You Out" to "Hot for Teacher and everything in between. It was amazing! I never play cover tunes. But that night for some reason, all the songs I knew just came pouring out. We even ad-libbed stuff. There was so much creative energy in the room that it was palpable. It was like you had to swat it away like mosquitos at Promised Land State park.

It was an amazing night and an amazing time. The fusion of these to artistic outlets was fantastic. I will post some of the artwrk that comes out of it after the next session.

So it seems that my guitar playing has found a home in this little tribe I suddenly find myself a member of. Tonight I went by Jaz' place. We were hanging on his porch with Jason. I went in to take a pi........um, I mean, go to the bathroom. When I came out, Jason's guitar was sitting there. I busted out my current fav little ditty "Learning to Fly" by Tom Petty. I went through a nice little catalog of songs that I have not played in a while. "Every Breath You Take", Just Like Heaven", The End of the World as You Know it", "Blister in the Sun", "Sweet Emotion" and even a little " Never Say Goodbye" were whipped out. We were all cracking up. Having a great time. I even gained a little audience at one point. This girl walks up as I am playing. I got a little freaked out, new person and all, but kept going with my reandition of "Sugar Magnolia" or whatever I was playing at that point. She gave me some props and hung for a bit. Pretty cool.

Point is, I don't care if I suck, I don't care if my life is hell at moments. I am fucking glad I can sing and that I can make people happy with it once in a while. Just don't ask me to sing the star spangled banner. I alway sstart to high and get fucked by "the rockets red glare".

Love Y'all

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura Lee said...

You are such a Libra it hurts.

ps: why are you singing our song to other people? Im so mad at you for that. I'munna knock you out.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know you're good when people can listen to you sober.

Especially if you AND your audience are sober. Now that takes talent-call me when that happens.

MISS YOU!!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Guys playing guitar, singing and making art is just downright SEXY! Can you guys tour in Virginia soon?

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home