Thursday, January 19, 2006

Right to the source

This is a copy of a letter I wrote to Island Records.Enjoy!


Dear Islander,
Get it? Islander? Hahaha. I just thought it might be a good way to break the ice with a joke. Figured I would get ya laughing!
So I don't know if Def Leppard had made this public knowledge withing the record company, but I invited them to play at my birthday party in October.
Problem is, I haven't yet heard back from them so it's becoming difficult to make the necessary plans.
For instance, I am at a loss for what kind of chips to get for them. Do they even know what a chip is!?!?!They probably think that it's French Fries, or Freedom Fries (are we still holding that grudge?), what they use in Fish and Chips. So you see my dilemma.
I am expecting AT LEAST fifteen people at this party. That number could more than double if my friends from the north (that's right, the north. It's a long convoluted story full of broken hearts, lots of parties and a bar called Toad Hall. The Reader's Digest condensed books version is that I live in North Carolina now.) come down.
So hear's what I was hoping. Could you please forward this to Def Leppard so we can start making plans?
I need to at least get a copy of their tour rider so I can make sure we take care of any Van-Halen-wanting-no-green-M&M's-in -the-dressing-room like requests. For instance, I could probably recruit my friends Doug and Lynch to shuck oysters for them if that was what they wanted.
On the D.L., between you and me, I am starting to wonder about their commitment to my birthday party. I was scoping out your list of bands on Island Records, the best record label of all time, and saw some people who might be interested.
Imagine my suprise when I noticed that Bon Jovi was among your stable of artists! I'm thinking that they would be great at the party also. They are pretty good and I am thinking that most of my friends will be familiar with their material also. I would ask that they don't play "I'll be There for You", but that is by no means a deal breaker.
Any artist would do. I saw that Bob Marley and Elvis Costello are in your lineup. Eitehr one of them would be great!Jason loves Bob Marley's stuff and does a pretty mean rendition of "No Woman No Cry".
Just don't send The Rocket Summer. He looks a little too Clay Aiken-ish for my taste and I think he would freak people out. It's a party for godsake.
Please don't let Def Lepard know that we discussed this. I don't want to hurt their feelings. I think we all know the tragedy that band has seen. I think we can all agree that we don't want to cause them any more pain.

Love hurts baby.
Love....hurts.
Later Gator,

Later Gator,
Tom

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you DARE try to steal Jon for your own pleasure.

Unless "friends from the north" include me, then I'll be on a plane straight to you, baby!

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home