Friday, January 06, 2006

When you make love, do you look in the mirror

Hey all. Looks like '06 is shaping up nice like for your favorite transplant. My place is going to be the spot to be in October for the jamiest jammy jam in Oakwood's history. Have a great weekend.

A letter to Def Leppard

Dear Leppardites,
Hello, my name is Tom (though some like to call me Tar Heel of the Year) and I live in North Carolina. I was compelled to write because of the holiday season that I had this year. It was a bit strange to tell the truth. This was the first holiday that I spent away from all friends and family in many years. I am sure right now you are reading this thinking "Man Tom. That sucks, but I hear ya bro!" (Do they use the term bro in England? It's pretty common here across the pond...it's short for brother). I am also rather positive that you also know that now matter where you are in the world, if you have the power of rock in your heart, you are never really alone!

Anyhow, I was sure that you would like to know that my friend Erich gave me a copy of your magnum opus, Hysteria, for Christmas. I would be happy to provide you with her mailing address if you would like to thank her personally. This letter is not about her though, it's about you and me. Actually I do have one question that still pertains to Hysteria. I have been wondering for years...Just what is a Satellite of love?

I noticed on your website that you will be playing the Raleigh NC area in October of this year. "What a coincidence" I thought (as you will no doubt be thinking in just a moment). My birthday also happens to be in October. I therefore and going to extend to you a truly fantastic opportunity, an olive branch as it were, to come to my apartment and play at my birthday party. I figure that timing is of the essence, so I will gladly push back my birthday party (My birthday is Oct. 2nd) till mid month when you are in North Carolina. You guys are welcome to crash at my place, as long as you don't go "Rock Star!" in my apartment. Haha. Just kidding. I am a big enough fan to know that Def Lep is high on life and not destruction. If I recall correctly, you are all very big "Football" fans, though we could not play this in my apartment, we could probably arrange for a pick up game at a local park. If worst comes to worst we could just watch some on TV. We're not big on what we call soccer here in the colonies, but we have enough other sports to keep us occupied. My buddy Jason likes golf. I don't really understand why, but I don't hold it against him at all. I can't play that game, it frustrates me. I figure that is not a problem. I just don't play...except for the occasional round of miniature golf. Which is to golf what an E.P. is to an album. Did you guys ever record an E.P. ? I don't recall. I think they are kind of a cop-out. Def Leppard would never cop-out.
If I am mistaken and you did record one, I apologize if you were offended. I'm sure your E.P. was Gunter, glieben, glauchen, globen, great!
About the party though, I am figuring that logistically, of course, we would have to set you up in the middle of my living room. I almost didn't write this letter when I thought of that. Thank god that "Pour some Sugar on Me" video was on MTV seemingly every other second in 1987 and 88. I remembered "This is Def Lep!" you guys played in the round! Man would this be so old school! It might be fun if we all dressed up old school style too! Whatdya think? Joe Elliot, who is waaaaay boss for having two first names, could wear those old ripped jeans of his. I think I have an old rock t-shirt to wear, I still have a G-n-R tee from back in the day. I could wear that or, if you would prefer, I would wear a Def Leppard shirt. You'd have to send me one though seeing as how I don't have one right now. I don't want you to think, even for a moment, that I won't show solidarity in the metal with you
Did I mention that the News and Observer, a local newspaper much like the London Times, is about to announce me as their Tar Heel of the Year 2006?. So...WE BOTH WIN!.I will have you playing an intimate show at my birthday party and you will get to say that you have played for the Tar Heel of the Year. T.H.O.T.Y. is a very prestigious title here. I think they give you a prize. We're still ironing out the details of when I will accept this award. I'll keep you posted of course.
So check it, I need to go to my friend Keri's birthday party. Let me know if you guys are going to need to crash at my place after the party. Whew! My head is spinning just thinking about all of the planning we have to do! I'm going to have to buy some chips and soda. What kind of soda do you like? If you get a chance, send me a picture. I'll put it on my wall.


Yours in Rock,
Tom

T.H.O.T.Y.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom! I almost peed my pants laughing at this post. Pure brilliance!

And if by chance, you weren't making funny, please forgive me. I'm sure Joe and the boys will respond in writing just as soon as they get off the phone with the D.A. and that restraining order silliness.

10:19 PM  
Blogger TD said...

They still haven't gotten back to me. I figure I need to give them at least five business days though. All in fun K. All in fun.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... maybe I could send Jon a letter like that. He did smile at me from the 60' x 40' plasma screen the other night... looked right into MY eyes and my eyes only.

(sigh)

10:54 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Jon who? Bon Jovi? Dooooo eeeet! write.

11:46 AM  
Blogger M said...

Oh how FUNNY! I love Def Lepard too!! That would be cool if you sent it off and got a response.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT?!? YOU GREW UP LOVING ROCK FROM THE 80'S AND YOU HAVE THE "COUILLES" TO ASK JON WHO???

(BTW, that's French for balls...)

Yesssssssss, Jon Bon Jovi.

I'd write, but my fear is that he'd write back and want to meet me and fall in love and then I'd be responsible for breaking up his marriage and mine, but I'd have no choice, of course.

7:57 PM  
Blogger M said...

Joe Elliot is still a fox!!!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bow to your brilliance... my attempt does not match yours.

9:50 PM  
Blogger M said...

Hey Big Sexy!!!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

Send it!!! Oh please send it!!!! Got to go and listen to Animal now, just has to be done. Oh, and The Real Me sent me...

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home