Sunday, July 31, 2005

Treat, your children well........

I really like kids. I find it funny that in my adult life, I have never been further away from having any of my own, yet I know that I really want to have them someday. Last night I went by Jaz' place. He, Jason and I got talking about some fun stuff. We were talking about my job for a little bit. Not the job itself but one of the thing s that I really love about it.

I love when parents (or aunt's, uncle's grandparents) come in with their kids. Well, I should say that I love when they come in FOR the kid. It makes me feel great. One thing that I will always remember fondly of my childhood is the fact that my mom and dad were always throwing a sketch pad, pastels or something else in my lap. This was from an early age also. I remember mixing up powdered tempera paint with my mom as a kid. I also remember mom and dad bringing me to Pearl Paint on Canal St in NYC. Little did I know then that Pearl would be a place I would give my blood sweat and tears to for 4 years of my life when I was 27.

So when parents come in with their kids, they are my folks bringing me to the art store. I go out of my way to make sure the kids have a great time. It is my mission.

I usually approach the parent asking if they need any help. They usually reply with something like "My Daughter likes to paint in oils, we'd like to get a new set" It is at this point I usually stop talking to the folks. I like to address the kids as the artist.Empowering them. Yesterday we had a mom in who wanted to do all the talking for her way too quiet daughter. I started talking to the kid. "Wow that's great! What kind of cartoons do you like to draw?!" The kid just starts lighting up and going on about what she liked to do.I hooked her up with a pad and some new markers because she had been using ball point pen (OH! THE HORROR!). It was fun!

A few months back this woman comes in with her niece from Tampa. Her niece was SOOOOOOO excited. I came up and greeted them. The Aunt gave me the story and the kid, with these bigger saucer eyes, like a mid-western tourist in Times Square for the first time, says "THIS PLACE IS GREAT! There's so much paint! I want to buy all of it!" She was so thrilled, I got excited. Actually, as I type this I am thinking that maybe If I ever have a daughter, she will be able to play me like the devil played his fiddle in that "Georgia" song.

So this kid had been given something like $20 dollars to spend on art supplies. She was asking me questions. What does this do? How can I make it look that way?". It was so cute. Anyway. I led her to all the really good deals, made sure to give her some of the free giveaways that usually have lying around. She kept saying things like "WOW! THANKS!" It made me laugh. Her Aunt kept thanking me. Now, her Aunt is this really cool woman from Chicago, who has been going through some of the same things as myself in terms of adjusting. She is a regular customer with us now. She came in the other day and said that her niece wanted told her to say hello.We talked for a bit. It made me feel really good. Even though this kid will probably not remember me in 10 years. I helped. I am the Blue man waiting in heaven.(Two points for the person who can name where that reference came from)

I like affecting lives. No matter what age people are.It's probably what I liked about working for the NYC Board of Ed. I will never forget Melissa. She was a little first grader whom I worked with. Darcy, the teacher I was working with, gave me a small group of the lowest performing students to have a reading group with everyday. This kid couldn't read a thing! I will never to be able to forget the thrilled look on her face when she read "hop....ON....p....p.....pop". She was so excited. Years later I spoke to my friend Gina. Melissa had gone on to the top classes in the school. Reading like a champ. I affected that and will always carry that with me.

I just wanted to share one of the things that makes me really feel good with everyone. I know that many of you have been down lately. We all need a moment from the storm sometimes. I just want you to know that you are on my mind, and I hope that I am on yours and that thought makes you smile. I am probably dancing around singing in a silly way. Come on. You can see it can't you? Laugh already. Life is good.

Miss Y'all

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, you're wrong... THIS sounds like a "sexy job" if it gives you that much pleasure!

:)

8:20 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Haha. Thanks Real. Or should I say thanks Me? :)

Yeah, I guess it might be the "sexy job". What I meant by that is that I hate telling people "I'm a retail manager" even though I am genuine in liking my job most days. I need to learn to be happy with what I have. It's on thing I usually have a real problem with.

Thank you for stating the obvious...and maybe opening the eyes of this carpet bagging yankee.

9:39 AM  
Blogger M said...

You know, there is nothing wrong with being a retail manager, especially if you are good at it & like it. It could be the one job that will allow you more time for your art and other things. I say, "Good on ya, Mate!"

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home