Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wile E. Coyote, the best laid plans, and lucky mistakes (or wonderful errors)

Sometimes the biggest mistakes of our lives seem to turn out to be glorious blunders that take us somewhere we never expected to be. The things we wanted least turn out to be the best things for us. Wonderful mistakes are what really makes life interesting and fun. Take Wile E Coyote for instance.

Now, there are a couple of ways you could go with this analogy. First, we could say that the Coyote was a planner. Every waking moment of his life spent ordering things from the Acme company to help him to achieve that masterpiece of a roadrunner dinner he so richly deserved. He planned out everything.




There was always some harebrained scheme. Some new flying bat suit, some new fangled strap on rocket which shall shortly become a bomb on the back of our sad-sap anti hero. That's right. Hero! Didn't all of you, once in a while at least, want to see Wile E. catch that blue beeping monstrosity and finally have it all?!?

We all knew how it would end though. Wile E getting blown up, looking a charred husk of the strapping young Coyote he once was, or, and most often, falling off the cliff because the little blue double R has moved out of the way at the last second. This leaves our hero, over the edge with nothing to do but have a moment to reach out with his big toe, to make sure, yup, indeed, that there is no ground under him, before he looks towards the camera and plummets to certain death until the next moment that he has the fever for the flavor of a beep-beep.




Secondly and thridly and right on down the line, we couldcome up with a million ways to see parts of our own lives in that of Wile E. I am sure someone out there has written a philosophy to be learned from Warner Bros. cartoons. That was not the point of this post (if there is any)

I am in a great holiday mood right now. I got a tree the other day and set it up. I had brought my tree stand from back home over the holidays. I put up some lights. Really got me some spirit. I didn't have much in the way of decorations. The tree had one blue and white ribbon on it when I bought it. I put the cast bronze Indian my great grandfather made as a tree topper. It looked really nice. I then covered it with a stuffed doll of Peter Criss of Kiss which looks like this



It made me laugh to no end. I also placed the mold of famous person's teeth onto the tree. You'd think that I would have no problem saying whose teeth they are. A part of me just got scared that there may be a whole gaggle of dental types out there who might come get me with their lawyers.

I am finally having a housewarming party. I figured that 7 months in Raleigh was long enough. I have enough good friends now to fill a house well. Lucky indeed. If it wasn't for lucky mistakes, I wouldn't be here in North Carolina. I would still be in NYC, freezing my ass off and wishing I was somewhere warm.

So when the sound engineers were working on one of the very early Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons, Chuck Jones saw a sound guy doubled over in laughter. He walked over to the sound guy and asked him what was so funny. The sound guy, quickly began to apologize to the director. Chuck though, wanted to hear it. The sound guy explained that he had set the sound board wrong when he did the playback and pressed play to show Chuck. The dropping missile "wheeeeee" that we all know as the sound of the coyote plummeting, which was supposed to be accompanied by a very painful sounding crash with all sorts of clanging explosions. Instead, what Chuck heard was the missile falling sound, followed by a very quiet, lonely thud.Hilarity!

Lucky Mistakes and wonderful errors

Happy Holiday's Ya'll!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your party was really nice.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a kid, I could never unerstand how the coyote could be so freakin' stupid to try over and over and fail...

Then I grew up and realize that's what most of us do!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home