Monday, August 08, 2005

Name that poker night

Well, for those of you that aren't aware yet, I have been going to these music and art jams on a regular basis. I went to one on Saturday night. It was some of the most fun I have ever had. We ran through a bunch of songs and then a friend of Alan's, this girl Beth showed up. She walked in and was not quite sure what to do. The creative energy can get pretty high in the studio. When someone new enters, it can take a moment to get into the groove.

So I stopped everything. I looked at Beth and said "Beth. I was a big geek in High School. I was also a Rockhead. Hair down to my ass, glam, trash and everything in between. But my being a geek let me learn this song. Which I will now share with you.Welcome to the party." Then I started. "Beth I hear you calling...........but I can't come home right now......." (From Kiss, for those of you who don't know. I was a huge Kiss fan growing up. I even played in a Kiss cover band for a hot second. As Gene Simmons.)

Beth just started smiling. It was fun. Then I proceeded to go through my entire repetoire of silly songs. Madonna, the Cure, Tom Petty and a medley of every power ballad ever made. played in the key of "G" (This includes "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" and "I Remember you") Beth and Jim (the other newcomer) were raving about what a great time they were having. It was fun. Beth was telling me that she couldn't describe how happy I was making her. That hse had a rough day and needed some fun. She said there was no where else in the world that she would rather be at that time. This made me feel great.

We are doing this thing live in October.While "Poker Night" works for us when refering to it. We don't feel that is what we should call it live. Just doesn't work. Here is a brief description of what will occur.

1. Four to Five artists and about three musicians will set up a long wall with canvas and paper, play sing and have fun.
2.The energy is good and it's very free spirited. We take turns painting.Everyone make a mark on the paintings. We all take turns dancing, playing drums, singing and doing whatever feels good at the moment. It's very Tribal in that respect.
3.We will be doing this every Friday in October
4. On Halloween night there will be a huge bonfire and we will burn all of the art that we made all month. Nothin is spared. No matter how much money people offer.

So there you have it in a nutshell. Calling out to all bloggies. Please post your suggested names in the comments. Ask your friends to stop by and try and name it.

Also....please post the title of your favorite silly song, and the artist. You know.....the song that is a guilty pleasure. One you shouldn't like. Mine? "Vacation" by the Go-Go's

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

please insert the following into the numbered points in the main blog as i forgot some key details:

2a.) We run about, arms in the air, singing at the top of our lungs. Clothes start coming off. This puts everyone at the same level, regardless of your artistic ability or inclination.

2b.) Once everyone feels completely comfortable we lay down plastic tarp on the floor. A slip and slide you say? No, better, I respond. We then share paint with each other through what we call "full body contact transfer".

2c.) After our naked bodies are covered in paint we take turns strumming a guitar and then running and throwing ourselves onto the blank canvas on the wall. Jaz ran too fast once and really knocked himself out. After that we learned to slow it down. Less gusto, more heart.

thanks guys, all ideas will be considered.

TOM

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha. You were a geek! I still am. =D

I can't think of a silly song right now. Hmm....

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home