Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Geoff and me


I call him Geoff because we have met twice. He wouldn't remember.Geoffery Holder is one of the most amazing men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I have met him twice. Both times by virtue of the places I was working at the time.

First time, I was working at a place on Canal st. in lower Manahattan. I was doing a paper making demonstration on the steps of the place.



Paper making is a very easy process. I was using the Pour Method, which you can read more about here.

Most of you will remember Geoffy (we have met twice folks, I don't think I am out of line refering to him in the familiar) from his turn in the James Bond films, or from the movie "Annie" as well as being the "Crystal clean and no caffine" 7-up pitchman from the late seventies or early eighties.

Anywho, here I am making paper and I hear this wonderful, deep, commanding voice say "That is very good...." . I started on my sales pitch and turned and then noticed who it was on the other side of that wonderful voice.

Geoffrey is an imposing man. Stands at least 6'7". Anyone who I need to look up to is fucking freakishly tall. I said "Hey, you're that guy!" or something equally stupid. We talked for a bit and I think he may have purchased one of Arnold's wonderful papermaking kits.

Fast forward a few years. (This is the real story behind this post and I swear it will not translate to blogish that well. YOU MUST HEAR GEOFF"S VOICE IN YOUR HEAS AS YOU READ THIS) I was working at a place in Soho. I was standing on the steps of the apartment building next door and who hobbles up, cane supporting his massive frame, but Punjab himself.

He looks at me and says "Hello" I said "Hello Mr. Holder". He jerked his head back inquisitivley and says "Have we met before?" I said "Once, I was making paper on the steps of the place I used to work. You bought a kit" He sort of nodded his head and asked "Are you an artist?" I thought about it for a second. At the time I was not doing any artwork of any type. I looked him in the eye and said "Yes. Yes I am" (Cause like it or not folks, I am) . He replied, in the coolest fucking way possible, with that wonderful intonation. "Gooooood. Gooood. Don't ever stop working. We artists......we see the world differently" When he said the "we artists" part, he raised his massive hand to his temple and flitted his fingers up into the air while explaining that we saw things different. I was in awe! Just cool!

Here's a toast to all of you who see things differently. Who have always felt different. Who have always felt out of place in a room ful of scientists. Who are true artists, no matter what you do for a living.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home