Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Twenty scores Twenty. *sniff*


So last night, I am out at this bar across from the state capital (Neon, Non-Wood bar, no fat jolly bartender...but good crowd, poll and darts and women) and had a great time. So someone gets to telling me about this autistic kid up in Rochester, NY.

Kids name is Jason McElwain . A senior at Greece Athena High School, He loves basketball and is the manager of his high school team. Think "mascot". This kid was the way for the coach to feel like he was doing something right by the mentally challenged. Sort of like me and a few people I have dated.

For the last game of the season, the coach decides to suit up the kid. Hoping that the score of the game would allow him to put Jason in. He made Jason one of the "twenties". What , pray tell is a "twenty" you ask?

A Twenty is a kid who only plays if his team is up by twenty points, down by twenty points, or there are twenty seconds left in the game. I was never a twenty. I was a starter on my C.Y.O. (CA-THO-LIC Youth Organization for those of you who might be wondering. That should also explain a lot about me and my various dysfunctions) team and would get mad as hell when they played me off the bench. The fact that I got tossed out of games for roughness, foul language and cursing out referees and calling them blind, shouldn't have come into play. That is another story though.

Anyhow, so the Greek Athena team does indeed get up by twenty points and the coach, seeing his opportunity as the god of the mentally deficient, points a long finger at Jason and tells him to get his basketball, definitely basketball playing ass into the game.

The kid gets in and misses his first shot by about 5 feet. Total airball. They feed him the ball again and he bricks it off of the rim. Then! This little fucker! He hits 6 THREE-POINTERS IN A ROW!!!!! Oh, and one two pointer! 20 points!!!!! This kid was hot shit. He was a state championship waiting to happen. He was a basketball savant in a candy coated autism shell.

Anyhow, I am hearing this story at this booth in the bar and can't believe it. Too good to be true right? Went home after some dj-ing, dancing and bar conversations like "If you could have any super power, what would it be" (I contended that omnipotence and living forever, like the Highlander did not equate to a super power even if you were caught up in a struggle across time in an intercontinental sword fight to the death with a Queen soundtrack to your life.By the way, Don't Stop Me Now is an all time favorite that makes me think of Christa and me.) and didn't give this kid another thought till this morning.

I was thinking what a shame it was that this kid only got to play in one game for his team. Any kid who can hit six 3-pointers, surely would have gotten some nice playing time over the course of a season. It was then that it hit me. That little fuck probably shot his little self into a buttload of cash.

I smell a movie! This is waaaaay better than Rudy or Jerry McGuire ,which I always thought was stupid. For some reason the little kid in that movie, Zellwiger's kid, freaked me out. He was a demonic little man-child in my mind. Plus would Tom Cruise pleeeeeease just come out of the closet already? Come on Tom, I know you're reading. It's okay. We will love our gay-scientologist-mission impossible hero.

They should get Matt Damon to star. I know what you're thinking, and I agree. Affleck would have a much easier time looking, and acting, autistic. Sure, he may have a leg up, but it's just got to be Matt. LOOK AT THE RESEMBLANCE!
Surely this would work. They could even give him a love interest and lines like "I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is." This would work wonderfully for me. I am going to nominate Penny Lancaster to portray the love interest. This story would then have it all plus a really hot chick. At the end they could all raise up Matt on their shoulders and Mr. Oscar, and I don't mean The Grouch, in their back pocket.

So watch the video and get the Kleenex ready. That kid sure plays a mean b-all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im from the UK and dont really understand this basketball stuff. We view it here as similar to net ball which is a game for girls. Anyway that is another story.

Havoing said all that, the story did bring a tear to my eye. What an awesome story.

My only question is (and it is not to put the boy down atall) but is it likely that this was basically a "set up" i.e the whole team had to do everything pssible so that this kid scored the goals as opposed to anyone else.

Also is it possible that as it was so close to the end and the opposition had basically lost they were given a nod by their own coach to let the boy score a few without hassle?

I certainly do not mean to be rude here but I am just wondering Reading the story this sounds to me liekma plausible explanation - or do you think on teh other hand maybe he is a top shot basketball player and they never realised it??

6:20 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Well Anonymous, I think that here in the USA many would fail to understand what we call soccer. It seems a bit pansy to many of us.

I don't think for a minute that the kid was given a single basket. There were defneders running at him in the video.

EVEN if we decided that yes, they let him get a clear shot. These were three pointers. That means these shots were from about 15 feet away (you will have to translate that into meters for yourself). Very tough shot for someone who can't play very well.

I don't think there is a coach alive that would, no matter how much his team was down by, tell his team to let any kid score 20 points. I could believe 1 maybe two shots, but no way could I believe lettting a kid score 20.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that I don't know. What coaches would allow and wouldn't allow. Whilst it sounded a nice, I was wondering if there was more to it.I don't really know what 3 pointers are!

I was interested in the opinion though - What gets me then is if he is so natutrally talented why was never playing for the team despite clearly as team "manager" turning up to all the practice sessions etc - why would he have never been picked for the team? Why was he only allowed on for the last 4 mins of the last game of the season? Something just does not seem to add up to me on this one.

As an aside what you call football we think is a bit pansyish as we play rugby, which is a bit like your football without all that protective padding.

Also whilst i am at it, why is it that you have those sports and you talk about the "World Series" when only a few countries in the world play it? I mean apart from America and Canada (which is still a British colony) how many countries play sports like American Football, ice hockey, baseball (another girls sport similar to rounders). Indy 500 does not exactly compare well to Formula 1 now does it???

We use feet and inches in England unlike those European types.

Anyway I am not having a go at America I love the country

God Save the Queen and God Bless America!

11:37 AM  
Blogger TD said...

Did you listen to the kid talk? I wouldn't have given him the ball either.

I think that manager is not a good title. Mascot on the other hand works pretty well.

I don't understand nascar either. It's boring.

Baseball is the quinessential American game. It was dervied from rounders and Cricket.

Get yourself a blogger I.D. please, or at least sign a name. It's nice to at least know the name of those that you are writing to.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - I am known as Mikey.

I once went to a baseball game - i saw the Yankees play - can't remember who it was against. They did this thing called the 7th innings stretch. It was so funny. They could never get a crowd to do that in England. People would be too embarrassed. I found the game quite slow if truth be told. The other thing that I noted which makes the atmosphere not as excitable as a UK based soccer game is the fact that the whole crowd is supporting the home team.

That is not necessarily surpising given the size of the USA but in the UK as fans can often travel to "away" games, there is more rivallry in the stadium and a better atmosphere. I would say however that the baseball game was much more family friendly than a UK soccer game where the fans tend to swear a lot more and are more rowdy.

Watching cricket however is a different matter the crowd is exceedingly polite and it is very British. If you are ever in the UK and you have time in the summer, I suggest you go see a game amd have some strawberries and cream. Having said all that the chance of you understanding the rules is quite remote. However I havent got clue about American Football.


Back to this guy in the video. Yes he is autistic but what gets me is that if he has been hanging round the basketball pitch for the last 2 years with the coach surely someone would have noticed at some point if he could sink a ball into the net before? The story just seems to be a bit sugary. That is why I suspect that he was given an easy time and the whole team may have been instructed tokeep passing the ball to him to have a shot.

I am not taking away from the fact that he did well, but it doesnt stack up that no one noticed in 2 years that he could play the game. And if they didn't then why not? It doesnt say much for the education system in America if all they think an autistic person who clearly loved the game is good for is a team mascot without even trying to find out by giving him an earlier chance even in training if he could play.

Regards

Mikey

2:29 PM  
Blogger TD said...

Well Mikey, I think that more than likely, the kid was passed the ball so he could shoot some shots. He still had to make them.

The kid had defenders in his face on every shot. Whatever the reason he got in there and for whatever reason he was passed the ball, he hit those shots.

Yeah it is sugary and yeah...baseball is boring. It is a good excuse to have a beer and a dog with a good friend on a warm summer night.

2:36 PM  
Blogger M said...

Off the subject, but my only Matt Damon movie fav is "The Talented Mr. Ripley". Slightly creepy in a Hitchcock kinda way.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home